The Liberty (previously Lexium) MDrive Ethernet TCP/IP Configuration Utility uses TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) to upgrade the firmware application code for the Ethernet controller.
As TFTP runs as a server for the process, it is essential that UDP port 69 be opened to allow both incoming and outgoing traffic on Windows Firewall for the upgrade process to complete successfully. In the case that your IT department doesn’t allow Windows Firewall setting to be adjusted, or that another, third party firewall is in use, request that UDP Port 69 be unblocked, or, perform the upgrade using PC external to your corporate network.
- Liberty (previously Lexium) MDrive
- Liberty (previously Lexium) MDrive Software Suite Ethernet TCP/IP Utility component installed
- Ethernet TCP/IP Application firmware file
- Access to Windows Firewall configuration settings
Configure Windows Firewall to unblock UDP Port 69
Create an Inbound Rule
- Open the Windows Control Panel
- Open Windows Firewall
- Click “Advanced Settings.”
- On the Advanced Settings screen, select “Inbound Rules.”
- On the right column of the screen, select “New Rule.” The New Inbound Rule Wizard dialog will open.
- Select the radio selector labeled “Port” to define the Rule Type as applicable to a port. Click Next.
- On the Protocols and Ports dialog, activate the radio selector labeled “UDP”
- Select the option “Specific Local Ports.” In the text field, enter the number “69”. Click Next.
- On the Action dialog, select the option “Allow the connection” Click Next.
- On the Profile dialog, check the networks to which this rule will apply. Click Next.
- Name the rule “Novanta IMS Ethernet Upgrade.” Click Finish.
- In Windows Firewall Advanced settings screen the new rule will show as active.
Create an Outbound Rule
- On the Widows Firewall Advanced Settings screen, select Outbound Rules.
On the right column Click “New Rule.”
- Repeat the steps for the Outbound Rule Wizard as followed in creating the Inbound Rule, configuring the firewall to allow outbound traffic on UDP Port 69.
- You may now continue with the process of upgrading Ethernet firmware. When complete Novanta IMS recommends that you disable these rules.
When it comes to your form, fit and function requirements, don’t settle. Get precisely what you need working with us. We know motion.
Contact us with any questions about how we can help you with your motion application or for assistance with your IMS products.